• search

Life remains affected in down town for 4th day

By Staff
Google Oneindia News

Srinagar, July 9 (UNI) Life remained crippled in the entire down town city for the fourth day today in protest against the killing of a teenager, allegedly in police firing on Friday.

However, police denied the allegation that the teenager was killed in police firing.

Superintendent of police (north-city) Bashir Ahmad Khan denied the rumours that curfew has been imposed in the area falling under three police stations of the down town.

Talking to UNI he said there is no curfew in any part of the down town.

Police fired teargas shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse demonstrators, who took to streets at Khanyar again today and pelted stones on police, CRPF and passing vehicles. Window panes of more than a dozen vehicles were damaged in the clash. A number of people were injured in the clash.

A large number of state police and CRPF pesonnel have been deployed in the area.

Shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was also off the roads. Work in government offices, financial institutions and educational institutions was also affected due to the tense situation on the fourth day ''Fateha Khawani'' of Muntazir Ahmad, killed allegedly in police firing during demonstrations near historic Jamia masjid.

Situation elsewhere in the summer capital was normal with traffic plying on all rotues normally and shopkeepers busy in their usual business.

However, a group of youths forced closure of the shops at Maisuma, Gaw Kadal and Budshah Chowk near here. But the situation became normal later.

The demonstrators are demanding stern action against the police personnel who allegedly opened fire on them on Friday.

Another boy, Irshad Ahmed (22), was critically wounded in the clash.


For Daily Alerts
Best Deals and Discounts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X