Toll rises to 33, 4.7 million affected in Bengal flood
Kolkata, July 8 (UNI) With six more deaths, the toll in the devastating floods in south Bengal rose to 33 today as 4.7 million people continued to be affected in five districts even though the rain stopped slightly improving the situation.
'' The overall situation has improved slightly. But the Army have been kept standby as the situation in East and West Midnapore districts continued to be grave, '' Finance Minister Asim Dasgupta told reporters.
Dr Dasgupta, who held a review meeting at the state Secretariat, said altogether 51,000 people were still sheltered in 631 relief camps in East and West Midnapore, Bardhaman, Bankura and Hooghly districts.
The Government had already sanctioned a sum of Rs 14 crore for rescue and relief operations for the flood-hit people and despatched 1,300 ton of foodstuff and 10,000 tarpaulins to the affected areas, he said.