• search

Bhagalpur train accident victims' ward to get employment

Written by: Staff
|

New Delhi, Dec 4 (UNI) Railways Minister Lalu Prasad today offered employment to one ward each of those killed and also of those incapacitated in the December two train accident at Bhagalpur.

Making a suo motu statement in the Lok Sabha on the accident in which 35 passengers were killed, 12 grievously injured and four suffered minor injuries, he said during Zero Hour that the government would pay ex-gratia of Rs five lakh to the next of kith and kin of each deceased.

Those grievously injured would get Rs one lakh each and those with minor injury Rs 25,000.

This would be in addition to the stipulated compensation of up to Rs four lakh to the kith and kin of the deceased and to the injured as may be decided by the Railway Claims Tribunal.

Mr Prasad said the grievously injured passengers who were rendered incapacitated to work despite adequate treatment would also be given employment in the Raiwlays for himself or to one member of his family.

The accident was caused by the sudden collapse of a portion of the 100-year-old ''Ulta Pul,'' which was under dismantling consequent on the construction of a Railway Overbridge, on the S-8 coach of the 3071 Up Howrah-Jamalpur Express on December 2 morning.

He said the Deputy Chief Engineer, Assistant Engineer and Junior Engineer of the construction wing of the Railways have been suspended as they were found to be prima facie responsible for the lapse resulting in the accident.

The contractor -- Bijoy Kumar Enterprises -- which was undertaking the work relating to the removal of the debris of the bridge had been blacklisted.

A criminal case has been registered against the concerned engineers and the contractor.

UNI SH Mir HT1427

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X