CM announces compensation, says guilty won't go unpunished
Kolkata, Nov 21 (UNI) West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee today announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 for the next of kin of those killed in yesterday's Belakoba train blast.
Making a statement in the assembly, Mr Bhattacharjee said, ''Seven people have died so far in the blast. Some 52 people have been injured. All of them have been admitted to the hospital.
''We have announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 for the families of the deceased and Rs 30,000 for those injured. The government will also bear their medical expenses,'' he said.
Denouncing such 'dastardly acts' in strong terms, he said the culprits will not go unpunished.
State Education Minister Partha Dey and Transport Minister Subhash Chakraborty have already left for the spot.
Meanwhile, Chief Secretary Amit Kiran Deb said, ''Three teams of the IB, CID and Central Forensic department have set out for the spot to investigate into the blast and take stock of the situation.
''We can't say for sure about the nature of the blast until the forensic reports come,'' he told reporters.
''Separatist and insurgent forces like the KLO and ULFA are behind the attack in all probability. But a proper measure can be given only after completion of investigation,'' he added.
Meanwhile, IG Law and Order Raj Kanojia told UNI that a general alert had been sounded throughout the state and special vigil was being maintained at Siliguri, Jalpaiguri and Malda bus terminus along with railway stations and all sensitive areas.
At least seven people have died so far and 60 injured, 25 of them critically, in a major explosion triggered by suspected ultras in the Haldibari-New Jalpaiguri Passenger train under North Eastern Frontier(NF) Railway in North Bengal last evening.
This is the first time that a train has been attacked in West Bengal. Explosions took place in 1999 in the Jalpaiguri station and then again in 2001 on the Mahananda Bridge in Siliguri.
UNI BA PL RR RAI1343