Pathan creates ruckus in court
Mumbai, Nov 20 (UNI) Underworld don Ejaz Pathan, who was convicted by the court today in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, created a ruckus in the court soon after the judgement was delivered and demanded proper medical facilities.
Pathan launched a verbal diatribe soon after the delivery of the judgement. However, designated court judge P D Kode urged reporters to refrain from publicising Pathan's utterances.
Last week, Pathan had been beaten up by underworld don Dawood Ibrahim's men and other serial blasts accused in the court premises for his alleged closeness to Chhota Rajan.
When his turn for judgement came up today, Pathan was not present in the court and had to be called for. Later, other accused in the case escorted him to the court. A partially paralytic Pathan climbed up the stairs to the first floor, where the court is located, with great difficulty.
When the judge started delivering the judgement, Pathan tried to interrupt, saying he wanted to make a submission which his lawyers, Abbas Kazmi and Farhana Shah, could not find time to raise earlier.
However, the judge reminded him that he could not do so at this stage.
Alleging that medical facilities were not being provided to him, Pathan told the court, ''When I came here, I came on my own feet.
Now, I require a wheel-chair and help from others.'' Pathan alleged that a few days back, he was not taken to the J J Hospital although a visit was scheduled. ''I waited in vain to be taken to the hospital,'' he told the court.
Pathan further demanded that a CBI sleuth be deputed for his security as he faced a threat to his life.
UNI XR MAZ VA HT1904