Naxal Task Force to meet on Oct 27
New Delhi, Oct 26: A meeting of the Task Force on Naxalism will be held here tomorrow to discuss new steps to tackle Maoist violence.
The Task Force, headed by the Special Secretary (internal security), was constituted two years ago with the aim of chalking out steps to curb the rise in naxal violence.
Civilian casualty in Naxal violence was the highest this year as compared to the last few years. As many as 115 security personnel and 401 civilians were killed by Naxals in the first eight months of this year as compared to 94 security persons and 364 civilians killed throughout last year.
Chhattisgarh bore the brunt of naxal attacks this year with the number of casualty recording an all-time high.
Home Ministry sources said tomorrow's meeting would be attended by nodal officers of the nine Naxal-affected states -- Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal. Representatives of intelligence Bureau (IB), CRPF and Shashastra Seema Bal (SSB) will also participate in the meeting.
Meanwhile, the Home Ministry said the proposed special Naxal Desk will be in place soon. Such a desk, to be headed by an Additional Secretary in the Home Ministry, was proposed in August this year.
Efforts are on to set up a mechanism for an inter-ministerial committee for carrying out a detailed review of the implementation of development schemes in the affected areas which will meet ahead of the quarterly meetings of the Coordination Centre on Naxalism.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had recently mooted the idea of putting in place an empowered Group of Ministers (eGoM) to closely monitor the spread of Naxalite movement in the country.