Year ended, but not for public infrastructure in quake-hit poonch

Written by:
Subscribe to Oneindia News

Jammu, Oct 8 (UNI) Ruined by the killer quake last year, life in Poonch district of this region is still coping up with the damaged public infrastructure.

Despite tall claims of state government, the fact remains that many schools, healthcare centres and other government offices in the quake-devastated Poonch are running in temporary structures.

''Government buildings in Shahpur, Gulpur, Mandi, Kerni, Balakote, Gult and many other places of Poonch are lying damaged.

Even today, schools are running in tents,'' sources told UNI.

''Only government building, which was paid full attention is dak bungalow at Poonch,'' they added.

The quake, measuring 7.6 on Ricther Scale that rocked the region this day last year, killed at least ten people in Poonch while destroying over 1,200 houses and affecting 18,000 people.

Poonch MLA G M Jan said the government had made the list of those who had sufferred small damages of up to Rs 10,000, but the relief amount is yet to be provided.

''The funds are not being released smoothly'' he said, demanding relief amount for remaining quake victims at the earliest.

''About 100 houses were damaged at various places in Mahore constituency of neighbouring Udhampur district. But no relief has been provided to the victims,'' Rr Abdul Gani Malik, MLA, told UNI.

The state government, however, said it had provided Rs 422 crore to the earthquake victims in Jammu and Kashmir.

Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, who also visited and inspected the newly constructed houses in Poonch on wednesday, informed people about the huge cash assistance and other kinds of relief under a special package.

On an average, Mr Azad said, each earthquake affected individual family would receive Rs 1.35 lakh, which is the highest compensation given so far in such natural calamities in the entire country.

The Chief Minister said he has been informed that 90 per cent of houses have been completed and the remaining 10 per cent will be completed by November.

At least three poeple had died due to cold during last winters.


Please Wait while comments are loading...