Four young Muslims face Danish terrorism trial
COPENHAGEN, Aug 24 (Reuters) Four young Muslims will face prosecution under Danish anti-terrorism laws introduced after the September 11 attacks following a decision by Denmark's justice minister, authorities said today.
The Danish Prosecutor's office said the four men, aged between 16 and 22' when they were arrested last October, had tried to obtain weapons and explosives with the intent of carrying out an act of terror.
The prosecutor said the men were connected to two men arrested in Bosnia on terrorism charges in October, when police there confiscated explosives and weapons.
In cases of crimes against the terrorism laws in Denmark, the Justice Minister Lene Espersen decides whether to prosecute, after a recommendation from prosecutors.
The fourmen, who now face trial by jury in Denmark, have all lived in the Nordic country for many years but their nationality has not been disclosed.
Last week, Said Mansur, a Moroccan-born Dane accused of inciting fellow Muslims to a violent holy war became the first person to face prosecution under the new anti-terrorism laws.
Police have investigated possible links between Mansur and the four young men who now face prosecution.
Last month, a Swede, a Turk and a Bosnian went on trial in Bosnia on charges of buying explosives and weapons to carry out suicide attacks on Western targets in Europe.
REUTERS PB RAI2300