Kidnapped Fox journalists in Gaza shown in video
GAZA, Aug 23 (Reuters) Two Fox journalists who were kidnapped in Gaza last week said they were in ''fairly good health'' and appealed for help to secure their release, a video released today showed.
A previously unknown militant group, the ''Holy Jihad Brigades'', earlier claimed responsibility for the kidnapping nine days ago of the two journalists and demanded the United States release ''Muslim prisoners'' within 72 hours.
Fox News Channel correspondent Steve Centanni, a 60-year-old American, and New Zealand cameraman Olaf Wiig, 36, were shown sitting on a mat on a floor. No militants could be seen.
''We're in fairly good condition, we're alive and well, in fairly good health,'' Centanni said.
''Just want to let you know I'm here and alive and give my love to my family and friends and ask you to do anything you can to try to help us get out of here.'' The ''Holy Jihad Brigades'' did not say what would happen if the United States did not meet their demand to release Muslims in American prisons by the time the deadline expires on Saturday.
The video bore many hallmarks of videos of captives issued by militants in Iraq, and the rhetoric of the group also seemed to mirror the heavily religious language of Iraqi insurgents.
Reuters SHB RN1955