• search

Floods death toll goes up to 118

Written by: Staff
|

Mumbai, Aug 9 (UNI) The death toll in the second wave of floods in Maharashtra has reached to 118, with 79 people still missing and over 3.5 lakh people being evacuated to safer places.

The floods have affected 23 districts in the state.

Talking to reporters, Director General Information and Public Relations Manisha Mhaiskar said all the dams including the major ones like Jaikwadi, Koyana and Ujani dams were filled more than 90 per cent and due to heavy rainfall in the catchment area from August five, more water has to be released from these dams, leading to a high alert situation in Pandharpur, Dhule, Nandurbar, Aurangabad, Ahmednagar, Jaalana, Beed, Parbhani, Hingoli and Nanded.

A contingent of 11 army columns along with 22 boats, navy personnel and expert divers with six boat, apart from 54 boats which the government had made available last year to various districts, are working to rescue the people from the low-lying and waterlogged areas.

Even as the situation remains grim in the rest of Maharashtra, Mumbai and Konkan, the worst affected places during the last year's very heavy rainfall on July 26, remain normal.

Ms Mhaiskar said heavy to very heavy rainfall is expected in next 24 hours in north and central Maharashtra, while heavy rainfall is expected in Koknan, south and central Maharashtra.

The eight districts -- Nashik, Dhule, Nandurbar, Jalgaon, Pune, Satara, Sangli and Kolhapur -- have received the rainfall of whole year till the date.

More UNI JM SSS VD KP1915

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Enable
x
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X