Germany confident over Frings case
BERLIN, July 3 (Reuters) Germany coach Juergen Klinsmann said today he was confident midfielder Torsten Frings would be cleared to play in the World Cup semi-final against Italy.
FIFA is investigating Frings's role in the melee at the end of Germany's quarter-final victory over Argentina.
Germany have been asked to submit a report on the incident and will discover later on Monday if Frings will face a suspension.
''I think that he's innocent and he has pleaded not guilty,'' Klinsmann said at a news conference on the eve of the game.
''We shouldn't forget that this was all started by Argentina.'' FIFA initially said it was taking no action against any Germany player but later re-opened the case, citing new evidence.
Television executives from Italy said they had found evidence that Frings threw a punch at Argentina forward Julio Ricardo Cruz in the fracas.
Frings has started every game of Germany's World Cup campaign so far and would be a certain starter against Italy in Dortmund.
''He should be in the line-up again tomorrow,'' Klinsmann said. ''I know it's all being debated by the legal experts now but I don't think we were the culprits.'' Klinsmann could call on Tim Borowski or Sebastian Kehl if Frings were to be banned.
Reuters PDS RN1835