'No military strikes on Iran after Vienna accord'
Moscow, June 5: Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said no military strikes against Iran were possible after the agreement reached by the 'P-5 plus Germany' in Vienna, last week.
In an interview published in the daily newspaper Nezavisimaya Gazeta today, Lavrov said none of the six Foreign Ministers at their meeting in Vienna spoke in favour of the possibility of use of force against Iran.
''Nobody did. Moreover, I can say that the understandings reached by the six nations, rule out the use of force, under any case,'' he emphasised.
Mr Lavrov pointed out that the Foreign Ministers agreed ''to put some very serious proposals to Iran.'' ''It included to start negotiations on the settlement of the dispute over its nuclear programme after Tehran stops enriching uranium in keeping with the decision of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA),'' he said adding, ''Work will also be suspended in the UN Security Council in view of this situation.'' Mr Lavrov expressed the hope that Iran would positively respond to this call and would sit down at the conference table.