Man shoots at US consulate guards in Saudi
RIYADH, May 12 (Reuters) A man opened fire on guards at the US consulate in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia today as he drove past but no one was hit, the Interior Ministry said.
Police chased and arrested the suspect after wounding him in a shootout when he fled from his car, a ministry statement said.
The incident was being investigated. It was not immediately clear whether it was politically motivated, security sources said.
In December 2004, al Qaeda militants stormed the US consulate compound in the Red Sea port city, killing five non-American consular staff. Four of the five attackers died in the attack and a fifth was wounded and arrested.
Saudi Arabia, a key Western ally, has been battling a wave of al Qaeda violence since May 2003 when suicide bombers struck at three residential compounds in the capital Riyadh.
Saudi-born Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda has been fighting to topple the US-allied Saud monarchy and expel Westerners from the kingdom, the birthplace of Islam.
Last month, Saudi Arabia said it had arrested five militants linked to a failed al Qaeda attack on a major oil facility in February, and seized 1.5 tonnes of explosives.
Officials say about 150 foreigners and Saudis, including security forces, and 120 militants have died in attacks and clashes with police in the past three years.
REUTERS PG PM