Indian oil worker among 3 hostages freed in Nigeria
New Delhi, May 12 (UNI) Three foreign oil workers, including an Indian, taken hostage in Nigeria's oil capital Port Harcourt were released today after a day in captivity, reports said.
''They have been released. The issues of disagreement must have been resolved,'' a Reuters report quoted Nigerian Rivers State Police Commissioner Samuel Agbetuyi.
Earlier in the day, a spokesman of the External Affairs Ministry had said officials of the Indian High Commission in Lagos were in touch with the Nigerian authorities and making all attempts to secure the release of the Indian national.
''We are monitoring the situation closely and all efforts are being made for his release,'' the spokesman added in response to a question.
Reports from Lagos said the three oil workers including an Indian, an Italian and a worker from another oil company, had been released.
In Rome, the Italian Foreign Ministry has confirmed the release of the Italian national, Vito Macrina. Italian energy company ENI was quoted as having said that the men are in good condition. It was not clear whether a ransom was paid to secure their release.
Gunmen had abducted the three oil workers as they travelled in their car on Thursday in Port Harcourt, the largest city in the Niger Delta, where the offices of the leading oil companies operating in Nigeria are located.
UNI RB PR HS1920