Court defers CBI plea for separate trial of Abu Salem
Mumbai, May 9 (UNI) A Special court here today deferred till May 18 hearing on CBI plea for separate trial of the decision was taken extradited gangster Abu Salem in the 1993 serial bomb blast case when defence opposed it on the ground that it would amount to violation of the terms of extradition of the don from Portugal.
After defence counsel Nitin Pradhan contended that Salem was extradited to India to face joint trial and not separate trial which, he said, would amount to violation of the terms of his extradition to India, TADA court Judge P D Kode adjourned the hearing to May 18.
CBI has pleaded for separate trial on the ground that the main trial of 123 accused, including actor Sanjay Dutt, had been completed in September, 2003 and the verdict is awaited since. The Central agency said clubbing Salem's trial at this stage would further delay the court's decision which had commenced in 1995.
The main trial was first completed in September, 2002 but following the extradition of Aejaz Pathan from Dubai it was reopened and concluded a year later. Mohammed Dosa, another accused extradited from United Arab Emirates, is, however, to be tried separately in the same case.
Subsequently, Riaz Siddique, yet another accused, was extradited from UAE, while Salem was brought from Portugal last November, CBI has pleaded for separate trial of both the accused.
Red Corner notice by Interpol is pending execution against 13 more accused, including underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, in the same case.
UNI XR-SA SB DB2213