Pooram mishap: Toll rises to seven
Thrissur, May 5: The toll in yesterday's explosion at the fireworks unit at Padukad, near here, meant for the famed Thrissur pooram pyrotechnics rose to seven with three more persons succumbing to injuries today, police said.
Condition of the five workers among the 11 injured still remained critical as the authorities called off the colourful pyrotechnics scheduled for the pooram (festival) day on May 7.
State Irrigation Minsiter Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan visited the spot to assess the situation and asked the temple authorities to extend compensation of Rs 2 lakh each to the dead and Rs one lakh each to the injured, under the insurace cover.
All the deceased, including the contractoer Radhakrishnan (36) hailed from Vennur Vadekkakara colony. The workers were engaged in the manufacturing of high-decibel crackers for the Paramekkavu Devaswom, one of the two chief promoters of the festival.
Meanwhile, Paramekkavu and Thiruvampadi sides decided to drop the proposed fireworks, the most glittering attraction of the famous festival, following the incident.
Several houses in the vicinity have been damaged by the high-intensity blast and the Revenue and PWD officials were directed to take stock of the losses, the Minister told newsmen.
He said a magisterial inquiry had been ordered into the incident.
RDO P Saminathan would conduct the probe and he has been asked to submit the report within 24 hours.
Thrissur district collector Premachandra Kurup said no licence had been issued for manufacturing fireworks at nearby Padukkad. Cases had been registered for violation of the Explosives Act.
The Paramekkavu Devaswom would provide accommodation and food to those whose houses had been damaged in the explosion. It would also construct new houses for those whose homes were gutted and also pay the expenses for repairing damaged houses.
The deceased were identified as Radhakrishnan (36), Ajeesh (26), Vesukuttan (38), Suresh (25), Sudevan (26) and Suresh (25), police said.