• search

Three militants killed, top HM commander arrested in J and K

Written by: Staff

Srinagar, Apr 20 (UNI) Security forces gunned down three militants, including one Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) ultra holed up inside a mosque, while a top HM commander was arrested from a hospital here today, official sources said.

A Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) militant holed up in a mosque in south Kashmir district of Anantnag was killed by security forces this afternoon, official sources said.

The sources said security forces received information that some militants were hiding at Mattan in Anantnag. However, when troops and State Task Force (STF) of state police were sealing the area, militants attacked them with automatic weapons from the mosque.

Security forces immediately cordoned off the mosque and asked the holed up militant to surrender, who continued firing on them.

Security forces, after waiting for about four hours, finally threw teargass inside the mosque forcing the militant to come out.

However, when he tried to escape, he was killed by the security forces, sources said and identified him as Mohammad Yousuf Bhat, a local resident.

A top commander and most wanted militant of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) was arrested in a joint operation by the security forces and police from a hospital here today, official sources said.

Security forces and police on a tip-off raided a ward in a local hospital here and arrested the militant identified as Gulzar Ahmad, batallion commander of HM, they said.

Gulzar, a listed militant carrying a reward on his head, was admitted to hospital yesterday after he complained of stomach pain.

Gulzar was active in the Kashmir valley for the past 15 years and was involved in several militancy related incidents, sources said.

Later, doctors were allowed to treat the militant.

Meanwhile, militants hurled a hand grenade towards police station Zadibal in the downtown last night, injuring a police constable.

The injured was hospitalised, the sources said adding the militants later managed to escape.

On the same night, security forces on a tip-off conducted search operation at Yaripora Kulgam in the south Kashmir district of Anantnag.

However, when the security forces were sealing the area, militants attacked them with automatic weapons. The fire was returned and in the shootout, one Inayatullah was injured. Militants managed to escape under the cover of darkness, the sources added.

A defence ministry spokesman said security forces gunned down two Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) militants at village Shahipura, about 3 km from watergram in Baramulla last night. Two AK rifles and other arms and ammunition were recovered from the slain militants, identified as Hamza and Abdullah, residents of Pakistan.


For Daily Alerts

For Breaking News from Oneindia
Get instant news updates throughout the day.

Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more