New Delhi, Apr 5 (UNI) The Government has moved the Delhi High Court seeking more time for implementation of the Conditional Access System (CAS) in three metros of Delhi Kolkata and Mumbai, Information and Broadcasting Ministry said here today.
''We have filed a petition in the Division Bench pleading for six to eight months more time to introduce CAS as that is the time frame agreed to by various stake holders with whom we held several rounds of talks to thrash out the issue,'' I&B secretary KS Arora told UNI.
He said the four weeks' time given by the High Court in its order of March ten was not enough in view of the complexity of the matter involved.
The court had last month directed the Government to implement the system within four weeks. The deadline ended last week.
Mr Arora said the petition was filed on Saturday.
The High Court had passed the judgement on a petition filed by Hathway Cable Datacom Private Limited and others. The petitioners sought a direction to the Government to implement CAS or pay damages to them, as they had invested several crores of rupees to build infrastructure to implement the system.
Under the CAS regime, viewers will have to buy a Set-Top-Box, which costs around Rs 6,000 to make use of the facility. They will have the option of viewing channels of their choice and paying for those only.
Earlier, attempts to introduce CAS in Delhi and other Metros in 2003 failed in the face of resistance by citizens' bodies.
Chennai is the only city where CAS has been implemented.
Cable operators have been accusing the Government of not being serious about implementinmg CAS. They feel the government was buying time to let the DTH TV gain more penetration, so as to render CAS irrelevant.
UNI NAZ YA HS1348