BCCI slaps second showcause notice on Dalmiya
Kolkata, Apr 15 (UNI) The BCCI today issued a second showcause notice to former chief Jagmohan Dalmiya to explain the ''abnormally high'' expenses under several heads in connection with the 1996 World Cup.
The second showcause notice was sent to Dalmiya seeking for an explanation within 21 days about the expenses from the PILCOM (Pakistan, India, Lanka Committee) accounts at the Indian Overseas Bank in Kolkata, BCCI secretary Niranjan Shah told UNI from Rajkot.
BCCI had issued the first show cause notice to Dalmiya and two former board treasurers, Kishore Rungta and Jyoti Bajpai, on February 27 alleging misappropriation of funds from the PILCOM account.
He said the decision to showcause Mr Dalmiya was on the basis of the report forwarded by BCCI Treasurer Mr N Srinivasan.
Mr Shah said the withdrawals from the bank showed ''abnormally high'' expenses under different heads like telephone bills, travel as well as cash, which needed a point by point explanation.
The report of Mr Srinivasan was placed in the recently concluded Working Committee Meeting.
To a query whether further action would be taken against Dalmiya, he said that it would be decided only after the reponse from the former BCCI president to the latest notice was received by BCCI.
Later, Shah filed a FIR at the Marine Drive police station in Mumbai alleging misappropriation of Rs 26 lakh in funds in transactions during the 1996 World Cup.
In response to the first showcause notice Mr Dalmiya and others moved the Bombay High Court to obtain interim relief against arrest in the case, but the court directed them to appear before the Economic Offences Wing of Mumbai Police for interrogation, which was completed only last week in two rounds.
Dalmiya was the convener of PILCOM, which was created to organise the 1996 World Cup in the sub-continent.
UNI BA SJC DH PM1829