Rs 35,000 ex-gratia for food poisoning victims
Bhopal, Apr 10 (UNI) The Madhya Pradesh Government has announced Rs 35,000 ex-gratia each for the family members of three girls, who died after consuming adulterated food at government girls' hostel in Amarkantak.
About 20 students had taken ill in the food poisoning incident on April 6.
Tribal Welfare Minister Vijay Shah Kunwar said the government was considering providing insurance to students in 'ashram shalas'.
Mr Kunwar, who returned after visiting the hostel on Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan's directions, submitted his report.
The government has also announced ex-gratia of Rs 5,000 each for seriously ill and Rs 2,000 each for other ill students.
Mr Kunwar said he had obtained information about food arrangement at the ashram hostel during his visit besides directing the district collector for putting up a hand pump in ashram premises for providing clean drinking water.
He said the government has taken serious note of the incident and suspended the hostel's principal, superintendent and a teacher.
A criminal case has been registered against the superintendent and the teacher. The latter has been arrested.
The Minister said a medical team from Rewa has reached Amarkantak to provide better medical treatment to ill students.
The students were admitted to the Chandacharya Dharmarth hospital, while four students in serious condition were admitted to hospital in Shahdol.
A government-level inquiry had been ordered into the incident, he added.
UNI AG-PS MSJ VC2232