HC directs fresh post-mortem
Mumbai, Apr 10 (UNI) The Bombay High Court today directed the Maharashtra government to arrange for a fresh post-mortem of a deceased, who had allegedly committed suicide at Agripada police lock-up last week.
A division bench comprising Justices D G Deshpande and V K Tahilramani directed the Dean of the government-run Lokmanya Tilak Hospital at Sion to conduct a second post-mortem on the deceased, Premnath Rao, who was found dead in the lock-up on April 5.
The court also directed the government that post-mortem be conducted in the presence of an Executive Magistrate and one of the deceased's relative.
The court's directions were in response to a plea moved by the deceased's brother Anil Rao.
Petitioner's counsel Vikas Mali told the court that he was informed on April 5 by the police that his brother had committed suicide by strangulating himself in the lock-up.
The court was further told that the deceased's body was taken to JJ Hospital for a post-mortem where it was noticed that there were injuries on the private parts as well as other parts of the body.
Hence, it could not be a case of suicide, but a case of custodial death due to torture by the police, the consel said.
While the body was handed over to the family on April 6, it was, however, preserved at the MGM hospital, Panvel.
The petitioner also urged the court for an inquiry by an independent agency.
The court, however, adjourned further hearing to April 28 with a direction to the police to submit the report of second post-mortem.
Following this incident the police commissioner had yesterday suspended one police officer and three constables and also directed the senior inspectors of all stations to maintain severe vigil in all the lock-ups of the state.
UNI XR-ARM KD AK RAI1940