• search

Advani was never sincere on Temple issue: Khurana

Written by: Staff

New Delhi, Apr 6 (UNI) Former Delhi chief Minister Madan Lal Khurana, now suspended from the BJP, today said senior BJP leader L K Advani had shown his ''real colour'' by stating that he wanted to become the country's prime minister.

Reacting to Mr Advani's interview to a private TV channel yesterday, Mr Khurana said he was surprised that Mr Advani had given such a statement when former Prime Minister and BJP's tallest leader Atal Bihari Vajpayee was still alive.

''Mr Advani has been over ambitious all along his life. Now he has opened up his mind to the people,'' he said.

Mr Advani's statement also exposed that he had never been sincere to construction of a Ram Temple at Ayodhya. ''Mr Advani had taken out the Sarnath to Ayodhya rathyatra in 1989 with the sole aim of projecting himself a 'big' leader to fulfil his desire to become the Prime Minister of the country.'' Holding Mr Advani responsible for the failure to the party's Ayodhya agenda, Mr Khurana, now spearheading a Delhi Bachao movement, claimed that the then Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao and UP Chief Minister Mulayam Singh in 1991 had been tactfully supporting the temple movement. They had suggested that if the BJP agreed they would allow construction over the 95 per cent area of the disputed land, leaving 5 per cent for the Babri Masjid.

''But Mr Advani rejected the demand as he thought that the objective could be accomplished by demolishing the disputed structure,'' he said.

Questioning Mr Advani's credentials, Mr Khurana sought to know what he and the NDA government did in their six-year rule at the Centre, during which they could not even get back the 67 acre of land acquired by the Central government for which the Narasimha Rao government had expressed willingness to hand over provided Mr Advani had accepted the necessary condition.

Mr Khurana said even the VHP also wanted that the construction should begin on the adjoining land, Mr Advani did not budge. He said VHP supremo Ashok Singhal had virtually wept when the offer of Mr Mulayam Singh Yadav and Mr Narasimha Rao was rejected. Mr Khurana said ''there would have been a Ram Temple at the Ramjanambhoomi'' by now had not politics entered into the issue.'' He said he had failed to understand how the main accused in the Babri Demolition Case was acquitted, while all others were facing charges. The original case was Govt vs Advani and others.

The CBI officer who had inquired into the matter for filing of charges in the court was later appointed member of the Human Rights Commission. It was the first time that a police officer was appointed for such position in the commission, he added.

Refering to Mr Advani's letter to Prime Minister Manmohan singh in regard to the demolition drive in Delhi, Mr Khurana said that none could take his letter seriously as the BJP led NDA government had been in power for six years and they also failed to bring any Ordinance to this effect.

Besides, it also failed to implement the recommendations of the Vijay Kumar Malhotra government in 1995 which had allowed construction of an additional floor in houses to meet the rising demand for accommodation. Had it been implemented during the NDA regime when the Urban Development Ministry was headed by BJP, the situation would have not arisen, he added.

Mr Malhotra, who had been an MP all along, was also responsible for today's situation in Delhi for not raising his voice against implementing the recommendations of his committee.

Mr Khurana said he was going to Ayodhya tomorrow to get blessings of lord for success of his Delhi Bachao movement.

But how at the same time he would also pray to God to pardon them in their duty to build a Ram temple there.


For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more