Nanavati panel refuses to issue summons to 11 riot-affected persons
Ahmedabad, Apr 5 (UNI) The Nanavati Commission today refused to issue summons to eleven persons, who had filed affidavits before the it on the post-Godhra riots of 2002, saying there was ''no need for it, at present''.
The Commission, however, kept another list of eleven people aside for consideration at its next hearing. Among them are Sebabibi Bismilla, who has complained about the involvement of VHP, Bajrang Dal in the Pandarwada carnage and Husseini Ibrahim whose property worth Rs 71 lakh were gutted. The panel will decide on April 29 about issuing summons to them.
Rights group Jan Sangharsh Manch, which represents a section of riots victims, had pleaded in an application that these deponents from Dahod and Panchmahals districts should be summoned to testify before the Commission.
About 42,000 affidavits had been filed by several sections before the Commission, said Dr Mukul Sinha, counsel of the Jan Sangharsh Manch.
Some of them were about complaints of victims, others had raised questions on rehabilitation measures and many who had praised the Chief Minister and the government's role in controlling the riots.
Among the eleven, to whom the Commission refused to issue summons today, was one whose house and shop were burnt. Another complainant had submitted that the Chief Minister, other Ministers and police officers had tried to control the riots and not participated in it while yet another had said the Chief Minister had supported the bandh call and had ''declared that he will a lesson to the Muslims''. There were two others who alleged that they had not been given appropriate compensation.
UNI MMG KD PA RAI2309