Liverpool striker Cisse worried about World Cup call-up
PARIS, Mar 30 (Reuters) Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse says he is worried he will not be picked for France's World Cup squad because he has not played enough in the Premier League this season.
''Yes, I'm a bit worried. There is always a fear about not being in the squad,'' Cisse told French daily Le Parisien today.
The former Ligue 1 top scorer said he had to show he deserved to be in the squad. ''I must not complain. I just need to shut up, work and give my best,'' he said.
Cisse joined Liverpool from AJ Auxerre for 25 million dollars in July 2004 but broke his leg three months later.
Under coach Rafael Benitez he has been in competition with Fernando Morientes, Florent Sinama-Pongolle, Peter Crouch and, lately, Robbie Fowler for a starting place.
Cisse said he had no plans to leave the five-times European champions. ''I still have a three-year contract. I feel good here even if I don't play much. I get along very well with my team mates and I have a nice house and a son, Cassius. I have also got married,'' he added.
Cisse did not figure in the France squad for the Slovakia friendly earlier this month, which France lost 2-1 and has not played for France since a second-half appearance in a goalless draw against Germany last November.
Behind Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet, Fenerbahce's Nicolas Anelka, Manchester United's Louis Saha and Cisse are in competition for one or two striker spots at the World Cup which starts in Germany on June 9.
REUTERS DH KP1726