• search

Centre clears Rs 327 cr plan

Written by: Staff
|

Gandhinagar, Mar 27 (UNI) The Centre has cleared the Rs 327 crore Coastal and Desert Security Plan of the state government to prevent infiltration of terrorists, smuggling of arms, ammunition and other illegal activities from Pakistan along the coastal lines of Gujarat, Home Minister Amit Shah informed the Legislative Assembly today.

Mr Shah said the proposed plan would be implemented in a phased manner, with Rs 55 crore in the initial phase. The entire plan would be executed in five years time.

Ten coastal police stations, 46 outposts, 25 check-posts with 151 vehicles would be set up as part of the plan to enhance security and patrolling along the border with Pakistan, he said. Besides, 373 police personnel would be recruited at a cost of Rs 3.61 crore during 2006-07.

The Minister said, the Centre is thinking to set up Marine Police Training Centres in Gujarat, for which the State government is planning to suggest setting up these training centres at Porbandar, Dwarka, Jakhau, Narayan Sarovar among other places.

The Centre, he informed, has also granted permission to the state government to set up Desert Police along the 500 km long border with Pakistan at a cost of Rs 76.14 crore. This plan would cover the bordering districts of Kutch, Banaskantha, Patan and Surendranagar of Gujarat.

Under the plan, the Centre would share 75 per cent of the total Rs 76.14 crore while the State government would bear the remaining 25 percent, Mr Shah said,adding that as many as six new police stations and 24 new outposts with facilities of telephones, wireless sets, mobile phone, hand sets, alongwith 81 vehicles, would be set up. These security posts will be manned by nearly 700 strong police personnel.

Beside, the security posts will be equipped with currency, metal and narcoties detactors, digital video cameras, water storage tanks, camels, sniffer dogs, tractors, trollies and other facilities, Mr Shah added.

UNI MP KD RA KN1636

For Daily Alerts

For Breaking News from Oneindia
Get instant news updates throughout the day.

Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Done
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more