480 candidates in fray for second phase Asom polls
Guwahati, Mar 27 (UNI) More than 480 candidates remained in the fray for the second phase Asom Assembly election on April 10 after the last date of withdrawal of nominations ended today.
Addressing a press conference here, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) J P Prakash said the exact number of candidates would be available after reports from all the districts were compiled.
Of the 538 nominations filed for the final phase, 19 were rejected and 33 were withdrawn. However, the figure might be revised, Mr Prakash added.
He informed that preparations for the first phase on April 3 were on and a team of eight resource personnel was trained in each district for the smooth conduct of the polls.
Polling parties for the first phase had been finalised. However, the polling stations would be allotted at the final hour, he said.
The CEO informed that measures were being taken to educate the people on the alternative identification documents to be produced at the polling stations.
He further informed that action against various officials for dereliction of election duty and candidates for violation of model code of conduct was being taken.
Congress leader Chandan Sarkar had been served showcause notice for exceeding the number of vehicles allowed for campaigning.
District Election Officers had been directed to ensure that the posters of all political parties carry the name of the printer, he stated. Non compliance with this Election Commission directive is punishable by up to six months of imprisonment.
Mr Prakash said appointments of mandals had been kept in abeyance and further decision in this regard would be taken after investigation into corruption charges in the matter.
UNI SG SJC LR GC1843