Adequate forces given to Chhattisgarh to tackle naxals:Home Ministry
New Delhi, Mar 25 (UNI) The Union Home Ministry has directed the Chhattisgarh government to intensify combing operations and effectively deploy the local and central forces in the naxal-infested Bastar region where one more landmine blast killed 13 people at village Godha in Kanker district early today.
"Already there is sufficient number of central para military forces in Chhattisgarh for anti-naxal operations ," a Home Ministry spokesman told UNI here today, pointing out that about 10 companies of central para military forces had been given recently to assist the local police in the anti-naxal exercise.
He said there was no need for rushing any more fresh contingent of central forces in the light of today's incident.
The Spokesman said directions have been given to the state government to intensify combing operations in the forests of Bastar region and to deploy effectively the available forces to prevent recurrence of any more incident.
"Union Home Ministry is in constant touch with the Chhattisgarh administration," he said, adding that "whatever assistance is required will be extended." The ministry viewed today's attack as an attempt by the CPI(Maoist) to contain the ongoing strong anti-naxal campaign "Salwa Judum" spreading to more areas in Bastar region from the Dantewada district, where the naxals struck early this month, claiming heavy human casualty.
Worried by increasing human toll in naxal violence, the Centre is expected to come out with a fool-proof strategy within a week.
In this context, the proposed high level meeting of 13 naxalism-infested states, convened by the Home Ministry, assumes special significance.
To be chaired by Home Secretary V K Duggal, the March 31 meeting will be attended by the Chief Secretaries and Director Generals of Police of the naxalism affected states.
UNI SH MSJ BST1558