Old Lucknow returning to normal after riot
Lucknow, Mar 5: The situation in violence-torn areas of Uttar Pradesh capital was fast returning to normal as no incident was reported since yesterday after Friday's communal flare up leaving four dead and scores injured.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Lucknow) Asutosh Pandey told UNI here today that the situation was normal and examinations for the UP Board would be held from tomorrow.
District authorities had to cancel the examinations of UP Board yesterday in some parts of the state capital following the tension in the old city.
''Security arrangements have been beefed up in the state capital and all precautions are being taken to prevent any mischief by the anti-social elements to create tension'', Mr Pandey said.
Meanwhile, UP Congress president Salman Khurshid would be visiting the disturbed area this afternoon and meet the kins of the people killed and injured in the disturbances.
Yesterday, state government had constituted a high-level administrative probe to look into the reasons behind the clash, which was triggered during an anti-Bush demonstration.
However, Mr Pandey claimed that situation was normal in the areas affected by violence. ''As of now, 20 companies of PAC and 4 companies of RAF are positioned in the areas. Eight more RAF companies had been put on call to deal with any emergency situation.'' Yesterday, tension had again gripped the state capital, when minor clashes were reported following forceful colosure of shops and business establishment by the BJP and VHP supporters during the Bandh call against the riot.
On Friday,trouble started from Nazirabad following an anti-Bush procession resulting in large-scale violence and arson, which saw many shops, buildings and vehicles gutted.
State government had already announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs 5 lakh each to the family of the deceased and Rs 1 lakh each for the injured.