Bodo concerned over ceasefire talks
Guwahati, Mar 03: The All Bodo Peace Forum has expressed concern over the delay in starting actual negotiations with National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which signed a ceasefire pact with the centre on June 1 last year.
"We are worried over the delay in starting the negotiations. It may prove detrimental to the peace process. The government should show sincerity to find a solution to the problem through dialogue with the NDFB", adviser of the Peace Forum Bhramon Baglari said.
"Common Bodo people are worried over the delay in starting of negotiation. There is a general fear that the truce may break down if the situation remains as static as today. We appeal to the Government of India to start the negotiations without further delay", said Lilawati Daimari, the Speaker of the Peace Forum. She is sister of NDFB commander-in-chief Ranjan Daimari.
However, an official source informed that the NDFB was asked by the Centre to submit its list of demands by December end last year for beginning talks, which the outfit is yet to comply.
The NDFB, which has been waging armed struggle for two decades now, demanded a separate ''Independent Bodoland'' for the Bodo tribal community. The organisation had declared unilateral truce in October, 2004 and the centre responded to it in May last year. A formal ceasefire agreement was signed on June 1 last year.
Since then NDFB cadres are staying in three designated truce-time camps at Kokarajhar, Udalguri and Sirang districts in the state waiting for the actual negotiation to start.
The All Bodo Peace Forum, which was formed at Udalguri on April 8, 2004 following a conclave of Bodo intellectuals, was instrumental in influencing the NDFB to come forward for a negotiated settlement to their problem.