HC rejects bail plea of Mulund blast case accused
Mumbai, Feb 24 (UNI) Bombay High Court today rejected the bail plea of POTA accused Adnan Mulla, held for his alleged involvement in the 2003 Mulund blast case.
A division bench comprising justices N V Dabholkar and V K Tahilramani, while dismissing the bail plea, upheld the order of POTA court and held that prima facie material was available against the accused.
The court also said as per the material presented before them, it appears that the accused had participated in the conspiracy of the bomb blast in a suburban train at Mulund railway station on March 13, 2003, in which 16 people were killed and several others injured.
Mulla had last week moved the bail plea challenging the POTA court order on the ground that he was falsely implicated in the case and that the prosecution was relying upon the confessional statement of a co-accused, and the same cannot be used against him as it does not have any legal value.
Adv Mobin Solkar, who appreared on behalf of Mulla, contended that as per the recent Supreme Court and Bombay High Court orders, the confessional statement made by an accused can only be used against him, but not against others.
The court was told that according to prosecution, the accused was driving the vehicle which was used by some of the accused while commissioning the blast.
Assistant Government Pleader Purnima Kansaria countered that the accused had actively participated in the blast conspiracy and had made transportation arrangements for the accused, and had knowledge of the crime.
The court was also told that the release of the accused on bail may hamper the ongoing investigations.
Supreme Court had earlier stayed the trial in the case as one of the accused had moved the apex court, objecting to the clubbing of the Mulund blast case with the other blast cases of Vile Parle and Mumbai Central in 2003.
In all, 15 accused are facing trial in the three cases, in the POTA court.
UNI XR-GK YA KP1705