Mumbai, Feb 23 (UNI) Bombay High Court today disposed of gutka baron J M Joshi's petition, seeking police protection in view of ''threat from the underworld, with a direction that he make a fresh application within two weeks to the Commissioner of Police who has been asked to look into the matter.
The petition was disposed of by a division bench comprising Justices B H Marlepalli and Roshan Dalvi.
Joshi was provided police protection on August eight last year following threats from the underworld, but the same was withdrawn on October 26 after the police felt that there was no threat perception.
During the hearing of the petition today, the court was told that soon after the withdrawal of police protection Joshi had informed the Police Chief that he continued to receive threats.
However, he has not been provided police protection.
Opposing the plea, Assistant Government Pleader A Masurkar argued that the petitioner was receiving threats from gangster Ravi Pujari.
But after the arrest of his wife, his activities had completely stopped. Hence, Joshi's protection was withdrawn on October three, 2005.
The court was also told that after the protection was withdrawn Joshi had not properly communicated with the police officers describing the nature of threats.
Joshi, an accused in the gutka baron-underworld nexus case, is facing charges under the MCOCA for allegdely helping the members of the Dawood Ibrahim gang to set up a gutka pouch factory at Karachi in Pakistan.
UNI XR-LS KD RR RS1558