• search

Assam Oil hopes to strike gas and oil in Amguri block

Written by: Staff

Jorhat, Assam, Feb 23 (UNI) Private sector Assam Company Limited (ACL), which had diversified from its traditional tea business to oil and natural gas exploration, was confident of striking a good amount of gas and crude oil in a number of wells in Amguri block in upper Assam soon.

Those wells had earlier been abandoned by the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC).

Following the awarding of this important hydrocarbon area in the famous Arakan Basin of the North East by the Centre to the ACL in 2003, the company had joined hands with the world famous exploration company Canoro Resources Limited of Canada for conducting a two dimensional survey of the entire Amguri oil belt, spread over a 53.75 sq km area in upper Assam, near here.

Speaking more about the prospect to a group of visiting newsmen from Kolkata, ACL, Chief Advisor, Oil and Gas division, N K Bose said in case of finding a positive indication of striking a substantial amount of good quality hydrocarbon and crude oil beneath the surface at Amguri by the end of the current year, the entire socio economic structure of the whole state as well as the region would undergo a sea change.

He said following preliminary 2-D survey in the entire block it was extimated that at least 15 million cubic metre of gas and 6,000 barrels of crude oil could be produced from altogether 15 wells, which were proposed to be set up in Amguri block alone by 2010.

The situation would obviously change for the better significantly both in terms of business and revenue generation if the amount of gas could be traced up to 50 million cubic metre and that crude oil to the tune of 20,000 barrels a day, Mr Bose said but emphasised on conducting more sophisticated three dimensional survey of specific zones in the block.

Further elaborating he said at present the Canadian oil giant, which had been given the majority 60 per cent financial stake into the whole venture with the remaining 40 per cent going to ACL, was working round the clock to complete the two dimensional seismic survey in at least three of the projected 15 wells in the block.

Of them, Mr Bose informed that the Amguri well no 5 and six had already given enough indication of having some amount of gas and oil at an average depth of 4300 metres underground, while testing at almost similar depath was still on at Amguri well no two.

" In fact we have already started extracting both gas and oil from Amguri well five and six on trial basis, " Mr Bose said adding while about 750 barrels of oil from these two wells were being sent to Guwahati Refinery for processing under a test condition, about 1400 cubic metre of gas were being burnt out because of no use in absence of the necessary infrastructure to utilise them in purposeful manner.


For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. This includes cookies from third party social media websites and ad networks. Such third party cookies may track your use on Oneindia sites for better rendering. Our partners use cookies to ensure we show you advertising that is relevant to you. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Oneindia website. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. Learn more