With over 100 persons from Kerala having joined the Islamic State, the focus comes right back on Wahhabism in the state. Not one, but several alerts sent to the state by the Intelligence Bureau were ignored about the rise of Wahhabism and the fact that the Saudis had pumped in over Rs 1,000 crore to spread this menace.
A police officer in Kerala informed Oneindia on condition of anonymity that there are Salafi groups and Wahabi preachers who have indulged in radicalisation and this could be one of the reason why such a high number of persons have gone missing.
Many in Kerala have welcomed with open arms the Wahabi style of preaching and this has let the Saudi controlled lot take control over nearly 75 Mosques in the state.
The newer Mosques that are coming up in Kerala are also constructed in the manner in which they done in Saudi Arabia. This is just one small indicator of how much people of the state are willing to follow the radical style preached by the Wahabi scholars.
Moreover the inflow of funds into Kerala from Saudi is the highest when compared to any other part of the country. It was in Kerala that one got to see posters mourning the death of Osama Bin Laden and also a prayer for Ajmal Kasab after he was hanged.
Intelligence Bureau officials tell OneIndia that a large number of youth appear to be attracted to this radical style of Islam, but also add that there are some elders who are trying to oppose it.
The Wahhabi rule book:
- Men have to compulsorily grow beards.
- Shrines shall be forbidden.
- Every Muslim woman should wear purdah or be subject to severe punishment.
- All men should wear trousers which are above their ankles.
- Women should not be allowed to work. Exception can be made only if the family is in need.
- Men and women should not mingle together in public.
- No laughing loudly or listening to music; no dancing or watching television.
- No weeping loudly at funerals.
- Abide by the Shariat law; every offence committed shall be punishable under this law.