Malegaon blasts 2008: The mystery behind the military grade RDX
New Delhi, May 16: The National Investigation Agency in its chargesheet says after a painstaking and professional investigation it has recommended 10 names for prosecution in connection with the Malegaon 2008 blasts case.
The NIA had also recommended dropping of charges against 6 persons including Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur.
Going through the chargesheet filed by the NIA, it becomes clear that the Maharashtra ATS which initially probed the case had not done a proper job.
However for the NIA, there is still probing that would be required as there are a couple of unanswered questions.
The main point to be noted in the NIA chargesheet is regarding the RDX that was used in the blast.
While it confirms that military grade RDX had been used, there are no answers on how the RDX had been procured. The NIA states that such RDX can be procured only by an army personnel or a terror group, but there are no answers beyond that.
According to the first probe conducted by the ATS, it is stated that the RDX was procured by Lt. Colonel Purohit. The ATS also says that Purohit had procured the RDX when he had gone on an assignment to Jammu and Kashmir.
However the NIA has found no trail of the same and while examining the army personnel it was found that there was no pilferage of the RDX and everything had been accounted for.
Purohit is accused number six in the case. The NIA has slapped charges against him under the Indian Penal Code, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, Arms act and the Explosives Substances Act.
The NIA has told the court before which the chargesheet was filed that it requires permission to continue the investigation.
It further states that during the course of investigation, it has been established that no offence under MCOC Act is attracted in the instant case.
In furtherance of same, the confessional statements recorded under provisions of MCOC Act by ATS Mumbai have not been relied up on by the NIA in submitting the present Final report.