New Delhi, Nov 07: The Narendra Modi government on Saturday, issued the much-awaited notification for the implementation of the ‘One Rank One Pension' (OROP) scheme for the armed forces personnel.
The notification comes after years of protest by ex-servicemen across India.
The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said late on Saturday night that the defence forces of India have a rich history and tradition of bravery and gallantry.
"Defence forces have not only defend our borders with exemplary courage and valour but have also performed with fearless attitude and empathy in natural calamities and other trying circumstances. Government of India recognizes and respects their contribution," MoD said.
With the notification of OROP, Modi government has fulfilled yet another promise they made in the election manifesto in 2014. The government had earlier the announced modalities of OROP implementation in September this year.
"The delay in issuing the notification was due to the Model Code of Conduct in place owing to Bihar elections," MoD said.
Judicial Committee to look into anomalies
According to the order, personnel who opt to get discharged henceforth on their own request under Rule 13(3)1(i)(b),13(3)1(iv) or Rule 16B of the Army Rule 1954 or equivalent Navy or Air Force Rules will not be entitled to the benefits of OROP. It will be effective prospectively.
The government also has decided to set up a Judicial Committee to look into anomalies, if any, arising out of implementation of OROP. The Judicial Committee will submit its report in six months.
"Detailed instructions along with tables indicating revised pension for each rank and each category, shall be issued separately for updation of pension and payment of arrears directly by Pension Disbursing Agencies," says MoD.
Salient features of the OROP as per the order
* Pension of the past pensioners would be re-fixed on the basis of pension of retirees of calendar year 2013 and the benefit will be effective with effect from 1.7.2014.
* Pension will be re-fixed for all pensioners on the basis of the average of minimum and maximum pension of personnel retiring in 2013 in the same rank and with the same length of service.
* Pension for those drawing above the average shall be protected.
* Arrears will be paid in four equal half yearly installments. However, all the family pensioners, including those in receipt of Special/Liberalized family pensioners, and Gallantry award winners shall be paid arrears in one installment.
* In future, the pension would be re-fixed every 5 years.