A Pan Card is a document used as an identification for individuals, families and corporates (Indian and Foreign), especially for those who have to take up a number of financial transactions, pay income tax, receive a salary and in some cases to just deposit or withdraw cash. Considering its importance, people carry it around on a daily basis and hence many end up losing it. In such cases, you might require a Duplicate Pan Card.
In case you're holding more than one pan cards, you could get into trouble. Some people apply for new pan cards when they misplace it instead of applying for a duplicate card. They end up having multiple pan cards which is not permitted. Some people intentionally apply for a new pan card when their credit history linked to the previous pan card is bad.
The procedure to apply for duplicate pan cards is simple. But before anything you will need to file an FIR. Since there is a legal procedure involved, many people tend to just apply for a new card.
When to apply for duplicate PAN Card online:
You can apply for a duplicate PAN card when your existing PAN card gets lost, misplaced, stolen, damaged, or it has inaccuracies that need to be corrected such as your name, PAN details, etc.
How to Get Duplicate PAN Card / Reprint PAN Card
You can apply for a duplicate Pan Card/Reprint PAN Card online through the official website. The payment for the application for a duplicate PAN Card can also be done online through means of debit/credit card, net banking or demand drafts.
How to Download Pan Card online?
An E-Pan Card can be downloaded by anyone once they lose or misplace their Pan Card. The release of E-Pan Cards proved to be a relief for many as they could just download their Pan Cards in PDF format. To avail an E-Pan Card follow the steps given below:
- Log on to www.onlineservices.nsdl.com
- A form appears on the screen in which applicants need to fill in their details such as name, phone number and email ID
- Once it is submitted, they receive an email with their Pan card in PDF format
- They can then download their e-Pan Card from their mail
How to Get Duplicate Pan Card Online by the Official Website:
- Log onto www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html and choose section on reprint of pan card
- Once this is done, choose 'apply' tab after which you have to choose the type of Pan Card you want to replace, it could have been allotted to an individual, firm, trust, HUF, etc.
- Provide your information in the form given with details such as Permanent Account Number, name, address, email id, phone number, etc.
- Submit your documents like your ID proof, date of birth and photographs along with the proof of the existing card they want to get a print of.
- The next step is the payment procedure which can be done by debit/credit card, net banking or demand drafts. The payment to be done when it is to be delivered within India inclusive of tax is Rs 110 and Rs 1020 if it's to be delivered outside India.
- Once this procedure is done, a 15-digit number will be provided to you for cases of future reference with any authority.
- After the verification is done, the Pan Card will be sent to you which will be in approximately two weeks' time.
How to apply for a Duplicate Pan card online?
The regular use of a PAN Card can lead to it being stolen or misplaced. This leads to the requirement of a Duplicate PAN Card. The Duplicate PAN Card serves as an alternate for the original PAN Card. A Duplicate PAN Card can be applied for online using the following steps.
- Open the NSDL site www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- Click on the tab that says 'Apply Online'
- Here, click on the 'Application type' and choose the third option that says 'Changes or Correction in existing PAN Date/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)'. Similarly, under category choose the appropriate option depending upon whether its an individual or a firm
- Then fill in your information (Title, Surname, First Name, Date of Birth, Email ID, Phone Number)
- Mention whether you are a citizen or not
- Enter the captcha code given in the box and click 'submit' after making sure all the relevant information has been submitted
- (The boxes marked with the symbol * are mandatory)
- While filling the online application, the applicant can provide either physical acknowledgement, aadhaar based e-signature or digital signature certificate. If you choose a digital signature certificate or aadhaar based e-signature, you will have to send scanned images of your signature, photograph and other references and in case you have chosen aadhaar based e-signature, your aadhaar card will be used as reference.
- If you are a registered user, then fill in your temporary token number, email Id and Date of Birth before you enter the captcha code and submit your form.
How can payment be made along with the Pan Card application?
There are enough and more online facilities to clear the need for online payment for the application of a PAN Card. It can be done through debit/credit card, net banking or even demand drafts. The payment to be made within India and outside India are different. Follow the instructions given below to make online payment for the application.
- If the communication address is marked within India, then the payment will be Rs 110 inclusive of tax and if it is outside India then it is rs 1020 inclusive of both tax and delivery charges.
- Applicants can pay through debit/credit card, demand draft or net banking.
- If you are paying via debit/credit card, then a 2% additional charge will be applicable by the bank. Conversion or exchange rates can also be applicable.
- If the payment has been made successfully, then an acknowledgement will be sent with a receipt that has to be downloaded.
- If you are not an individual applicant, then the acknowledgement receipt will have to be signed by an authorized signatory
- If a thumb impression is used, then it has to be verified by a notary public or a magistrate with an official stamp and seal.
- The acknowledgement will have to be sent to the NSDL E-Governance site.
- If the applicant is a minor, then aadhaar number must also be sent.
How to Surrender Duplicate Pan Card?
The process of surrendering a Pan Card can be done both online and offline. It is not permissible by law to have two Pan Cards. Sometimes when a person loses a Pan Card or doesn't receive their Pan Card, they apply for a new one. If the applicant has two cards with the same number, then there is nothing to worry about. But in case, they have different numbers then it is only fair to surrender the other Pan card.
Visit the official website of Sparsh India and go to the 'Pan Grievances section'. You will be redirected to a page where you will be provided with a link. Click on the link and you will be taken to a new page wherein you have to fill various details (Name of the visitor, Telephone Number, Email id, Address, first name, Middle name, Last name, DOB, Father's name, Number of the PAN card to be retained, the number of the duplicates to be surrendered). Submit the form after filling all the details.
Fill out the 'Changes Or Correction in PAN Data' form that can be downloaded from www.tin-nsdl.com/downloads/pan/download/PAN-CR-Form_NSDL%20e-Gov_01.06.16.pdf. Submit the form at the nearest NSDL Collection Centre and from there you will receive an acknowledgement form which is to be sent to NSDL Office within 15 days. Also write a letter to the Assessing Officer with the Pan details. Avail an acknowledgement copy from the Assessing Officer for future references.
When would we require a Duplicate Pan Card?
- You would require a Duplicate Pan Card when there has been a loss/theft of your original Pan Card.
- There are instances where we lose our wallets which may possess our cards. In such cases you would require a Duplicate Pan Card.
- Pan Cards can get damaged due to several reasons because of which we would need a Duplicate Pan Card.
- Error in a Pan Card requires us to change the information on it.
How to Download e-PAN Card (Soft Copy of PAN Card):
The Central Board of Direct Taxation has allowed to download E-Pan Card or a soft copy of a PAN Card online. The link to download the PAN Card will be sent to your email. But this facility is available only to the new and recent applicants of the PAN Card. The soft copy of your PAN Card will be available with a photograph and digital signature. But if you haven't provided an email ID you can still download the soft copy of your PAN Card but this will be without the photograph and the digital signature. Instead they should apply for a Duplicate PAN Card.
Damaged PAN card Replacement:
- Open the official website of NSDL; www.onlineservices.nsdl.com
- You will find the online PAN Replacement form. Fill the form with relevant information and click on submit. (Make sure that all the information you fill out is correct)
- Double check with the corresponding box and correct any mistakes made earlier.
- Enter our PAN details and your address.
- While requesting for a new PAN, you will have to fill the details of your Aadhar card along with the application form.
- You will then receive the acknowledgement which will consist of:
a) Space for Signature
b) A 15-digit unique acknowledgement number
c) Category of applicant
- Details of Proof of Identity, Address & Date of birth(applicable for Individual & HUF applicants)
a) Payment Details
b) Address for Communication
c) Permanent Account Number (PAN)
d) Name of applicant
e) Space for Photograph (in case of 'Individual')
F) Date of Birth/Incorporation/Agreement/Partnership or Trust Deed/Formation of Body of Individuals/Association of Persons
G) Father's Name (in case of 'Individual')
h) Aadhaar No.
- Check the status of your PAN Verification. The verification should be done within 5 days time after you receive the acknowledgement. Follow the below steps to check the status of your PAN Verification by using PAN Number.
A) Log on to the website of NSDL Pan Card Financial Service.
B) Give your PAN Number for the replacement or the reprint of your PAN Card.
C) Enter the captcha and submit.
D) Your PAN Verification status will appear on the screen.
FAQ's About PAN / Reprint of PAN Card:
Certain questions often asked about the PAN/Reprint of the PAN Card
Q) When to submit the application form to "Request for new PAN Card and/or Changes or correction in PAN data"?
A) When you already have a PAN or need a new PAN Card or when you have to make changes in the existing PAN Card, submit the application form for "Request for new PAN Card and/or Changes or correction in PAN data".
Q) Will I be charged for the "Request for new PAN Card and/or Changes or correction in PAN data" form?
A) The form can be freely downloaded from either the NSDL e-Gov-TIN website or is available with the TIN-FCs.
Q) How to obtain a new PAN Card with no changes in the details?
A) Those who want a new PAN Card with no new changes in the details have to fill in the 'Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data' form and make sure they don't tick any of the boxes on the left margin.
Q) What should I do if I want to make any changes/corrections in the PAN Data?
A) If you want to make any changes/correction in the PAN Data, then fill in the 'Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or Correction in PAN data' form and check all the boxes on the left margin which need change.
Q) What are the documents to be submitted while filling the 'Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or correction in PAN Data'?
A) Submit the proof of Existing PAN, Identity, Date of Birth, Address, Support of Changes sought, Proof of PAN(s) surrendered (if any)
Q) What documents can be submitted as proof of PAN?
A) The documents that can be submitted as proof of PAN are the copy of PAN Card and the copy of the PAN Allotment letter
Q) What documents can be provided as the proof of surrendered PAN?
A) The documents that can be provided as the proof of PAN surrendered are the copy of PAN Card and the PAN Allotment letter.
Q) What documents will serve as proof of identity and address for applicants other than individuals and HUF?
A) If you have office of your own in India
Company: Copy of certificate of registration issued by Registrar of Companies.
Partnership firm: Copy of certificate of registration issued by Registrar of firms or Copy of Partnership Deed.
Limited Liability Partnership: Copy of Certificate of Registration issued by the Registrar of LLPs
Association of Persons (trust): Copy of trust deed or copy of certificate of registration number issued by Charity Commissioner.
Association of Person, Body of Individuals, Local Authority, or Artificial Juridical Person: Copy of Agreement or copy of certificate of registration number issued by charity commissioner or registrar of cooperative society or any other competent authority or any other document originating from any Central or
State Government Department establishing identity and address of such person.
If you don't have an office of your own in India
Company/Partnership Firm/Limited Liability Partnership/Trust/AOP/ BOI/Local Authority/Artificial Juridical Person:
(1) Copy of Certificate of Registration issued in the country where the applicant is located, duly attested by "Apostille" (in respect of the countries which are signatories to The Hague Convention of 1961) or by the Indian Embassy or High Commission or Consulate in the country where the applicant is located or authorised officials of overseas branches of Scheduled Banks registered in India
(2) Copy of registration certificate issued in India or of approval granted to set up office in India by Indian Authorities.
Q) Is it necessary to fix two photographs on the form 'Request for New PAN Card or/and Changes or correction in PAN Data'?
A) Yes, individual applicants should affix two photographs (size 3.5cm x 2.5cm) on the form. Make sure that you do no staple or clip the photograph on the form.
Q) What should applicant do if he wants to update only the communication address?
A) Fill in the 'Request for New Pan Card or/and Changes or correction in PAN Data' form. Fill in all the information and tick the communication address box on the left margin. Also mention whether this is your office or residential address. If you are not an individual applicant or not representing an HUF, then the communication address that you give should be the same as your office address. You should compulsorily provide the proof of communication address and if change of any other address is requested for, then even proof of that should be given.