Indonesia says terror threat still real
JAKARTA, May 3 (Reuters) A video with instructions on assembling a bomb found during a raid on the hideout of one of Asia's most wanted militants suggested terror threats are still real in the country, an Indonesian minister said today.
Police found the bomb-making guide on a laptop seized from a house in Central Java during last week's raid in which two militants were killed, but police failed to catch Noordin M Top, Deputy police spokesman Anton Bachrul Alam told Reuters.
Top is wanted for several bombing attacks in the region and is seen as a key member of the militant Jemaah Islamiah (JI), a regional wing of al Qaeda.
Chief security minister Widodo Adi Sutjipto told reporters the video and the recent discovery of a backpack with crude bombs suggested militants were still active and have the ability to assemble bomb despite the death of chief bomb maker Azahari.
Azahari often travelled with Top, according to intelligence officials. He was killed during a shootout in the East Java town of Malang last year.
The backpack bombs found in another Central Java town were similar to the ones used in the bombings of cafes in the resort island of Bali last year.
''The discovery of the bombs indicates that terror cells still have the capability to assemble their own bombs even though the expert died in Malang,'' Sutjipto told reporters.
''This has proven that terror threats are real and active.'' The militant Islamic group Jemaah Islamiah is blamed for the October 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people and a series of other attacks.
Aside from the initial Bali bombings, there have been deadly strikes attributed to Islamic militants against a luxury hotel in Jakarta in 2003, outside the Australian embassy in the capital in 2004, and at restaurants in Bali in 2005.
REUTERS KD BD1834