SC is angry on UGC for not following the norms
- The Court took umbrage on University Grants Commission's hurry for giving go ahead to these university.
- Raising deep concern, the apex court said, "The universities can't be allowed to operate without physical verification of their infrastructure and teaching faculty strength".
- In a stern message to UGC, the court warned that now onwards not a single deemed university would be allowed to operate bypassing these established norms
- The TOI report says, that some irregularities with these Universities were found in 2009 itself, but UGC didn't bother to take any action.
- Instead, audacious UGC appeared to be in a hurry to allow majority of them to start operations
Various Committee found several flaws
- This verdict of Court has come after UGC's appointed Committee submitted report that only 7 out of 41 varsities are unfit to be blacklisted
- Flexing muscle saying the HRD Ministry can't debar them, the UGC committee headed by H Devaraj went to the Court.
- Among these 7 Universities, four of them are from Tamil Nadu, one from Rajasthan and two from Haryana
- On looming uncertain future of lakhs of students, UGC sources said recommendation of withdrawal of deemed university status does not mean these institutes will close down.
- They will have to take affiliations from some of the recognized Universities
- Earlier, in 2009 Tandon committee had put 41 of them under the 'C' category and declared them unfit to be a full fledged University
Which Universities are in dock?
- According to TOI, those universities which are in danger zone are Vinayaka Mission's Research Foundation, Salem; Academy of Maritime Education & Training, Karathur; Bharath Institute of Higher Education & Research, Chennai.
- Others are Ponnaiyah Ramajayam Institute of Technology & Science, Thanjavur (all from Tamil Nadu) and Maharshi Markandeshwar University, Mullana- Ambala and Manav Rachna International University, Faridabad (from Haryana). Institute of Advanced Studies in Education, Sardarshahr, is the lone institute from Rajasthan.
- With this new development, future of students are seriously under threat.