The practice of issuing stapled visa instead of proper visa by the Chinese embassy to Indian citizens from Arunachal Pradesh and Jammu and Kashmir has been a contentious issue between the two nations. Below are the facts and row related to Stapled Visa
- When the stamps of the country you are visiting, not placed on the passport, but on pages staple to it is called Stapled Vias.
- When the visitor leaves the country, his visa and entry and exit stamps are torn out, leaving no record on his passport.Stapled Visa is countries which are hostile to each other.
- China issues stapled visas to residents of Arunachal Pradesh as it claims that the state is "disputed," even as India continues to denounce the stance.
- In 2009, China also started giving stapled visas to the residents of Jammu and Kashmir.
- India objects to issuance of stapled visas for any of its nationals wanting to proceed to China.
- China's stapled visa policy has prevented residents from the border state of Aruanchal Pradesh from travelling to that country, making it a contentious issue in bilateral relations.
- The practice of stapling the visas stems from China's claim on most of Arunachal.