Though the police and many other political parties have been discouraging and opposing the event, the organisers confirmed that the event is still on!
What is 'Kiss of love'
- Thousands of people accepted the invitation to kiss in public as "an expression of love" at Marine Drive at the shore of Kochi, Kerala.
- The message is slowly spreading to people living outside Kerala also.
- According to the organisers on the Facebook page, "Moral policing is a criminal activity. Most political parties and religious organisations try to do that. A group of young bloods join their hands together to prove to the society that kiss is the symbol of love."
Why is the event planned
- A television had aired news, alleging immoral activities at a hotel named downtown café.
- A coffee shop in Kozhikode was vandalized by members of a youth wing affiliated to the BJP.
- The claim was that the cafe was used by young students for dates, which they deem unacceptable.
- ‘Kiss of love' protest is against the vandalism of the shop.
- It is also against the 'moral policing' act conducted across Kerala by various political parties in the name of right and wrong.
- The incident had created an outrage in the social media and support has been pouring in for youngsters' right to express their love.
Opposing the event
- The Vishwa Hindu Parishad or VHP has said it will "legally challenge" the attempt to gather people for public display of affection.
- The placards used for promoting the event, were torn up by 2-3 men whose identities were not disclosed.
- Even the police has refused permission for the rally.
Why the opposition
- Some of the people who are opposing the event have agrued that the event is a bad precedent and "is not safe for wives and children."
- "Since the alleged programme is not sponsored by any known group or organisation there is no authenticity to the news being spread," said the police.
- Police said that in such a situation, it is not wise to go for any direct action but instead initiate legal action and create public awareness against this.