"The struggle against suppression and for the rights of children...The world has come closer to the goal of eliminating child labour", The Norwegian Nobel Committee announced. Let's take a look at who is Kailash Satyarthi and what is his contribution to the country so far.
Who is Kailash Satyarthi?
- Kailash Satyarthi is an Indian children's rights activist and who won 2014 Nobel Peace together with Malala Yousafzai.
- He has been active in the Indian movement against child labour since the 1990s.
- Kailash Satyarthi runs Bachpan Bachao Andolan, an India-based movement campaigning for the rights of children and is also trying to bring an end to human trafficking.
- Bachpan Bachao Andolan, has freed over 80,000 children from various forms of servitude.
- He has been a member of a UNESCO body established to examine the causes and effect of and has been on the board of the Fast Track Initiative (now known as the Global Partnership for Education).
- He got this prize for his struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education.
- After winning the Nobel Peace Prize, child rights activist Kailash Satyarthi was quoted as saying to NDTV, "It's an honour for all child rights activists."
Work of Kailash Satyarthi
- Satyarthi has campaigned worldwide on social issues involving children.
He has worked with:
- The Global March Against Child Labor
- International advocacy body of Global March Against Child Labor
- The International Center on Child Labor and Education (ICCLE),
- Global Campaign for Education.
- He also has the credit of establishing Rugmark (now known as Goodweave) as the first voluntary labelling, monitoring and certification system of rugs manufactured without the use of child-labour in South Asia.
- Satyarthi has highlighted child labor as a human rights issue as well as a welfare matter and charitable cause.
- Kailash Satyarthi believes that child labour perpetuates poverty, unemployment, illiteracy, population growth and other social problems.
- To prove the above statements he has carried various studies.
- He is largely accredited for enactment and adoption of national and international legislations, treaties and conventions as well as the constitutional amendment on child labour and education.
What is Bachban Bachao Andolan and its purpose
- Bachpan Bachao Andolan is an India-based movement campaigning for the rights of children and for an end to human trafficking.
- Since its formation in 1980, it focuses on ending bonded labour, child labour and trafficking, as well as demanding the right to education for all children.
- The stated vision of Bachpan Bachao Andoloan (BBA) is "to create a child friendly society, where all children are free from exploitation and receive free and quality education."
- It aims "to identify, liberate, rehabilitate and educate children in slavery.
- To achieve this aim this andolan practises direct intervention, child and community participation, coalition building, consumer action, promoting ethical trade practices and mass gaming.
The Bachpan Bachao Andolan has so far carried these campaigns to achieve its aims:
- Child Labour Free India Campaign
- Right to Education Campaign
- Child Domestic Labour campaign
- 'Mukti Caravan (campaign against child trafficking for forced labour)'
- Missing Children Campaign