Mumbai, June 22: At least two people were killed and five injured when an abandoned four-storeyed building, which was occupied by some unauthorised dwellers, collapsed in Mumbai today, officials said.
The incident occurred around 6.30 a.m. Saturday when the dilapidated Piyush Building suddenly came crashing down, catching the unauthorized dwellers unaware, said an official.
Fire Brigade and other rescuers extricated two bodies and five people were brought out alive from the rubble of the building located in Dahisar east suburb.
The victims are Faizan Sheikh and Dharmendra Harijan, believed to be local vegetable vendors.
Of the injured, the condition of at least three is reported to be serious at the BMC's Bhagwati Hospital.
There is no information whether more people are trapped under the debris, even as relief and rescue operations are on.
Dahisar Shiv Sena legislator Vinod Ghosalkar said that the building had been evacuated two years ago after it was declared 'dangerous' by the civic authorities.
"It was due to be re-developed, but owing to a dispute between the owner and tenants, the matter is under litigation. In the meantime, local vegetable vendors were taking shelter there," Ghosalkar said.