Bangalore, Aug 18: Despite security assurances by Bangalore police, people from North-East India continue to leave the city. According to sources, more than 30,000 people have left the Garden City so far since Aug 15 and many more are waiting for their turns to board the special trains which will take them to their native places.
Both Central and state government have so far claimed that people were scared following some rumours. The government sources claimed that North-East people have not been threatened and assaulted so far. But some reports of assault raised questions about the statement of the police and other government officials.
Three people, who do not want to disclose their identities, have already left Bangalore just a day after when they were being assaulted by few miscreants. Another young professional from Nagaland, Shiyeto, who lives in a rented house in Koramangala 8th Block, was threatened by a group of people who allegedly claimed to kill him if he does not leave the city before Ramzan.
Shiyeto was attacked on Friday night and officials in Koramangala police station allegedly took almost three hours to respond to Shiyeto's call. Bangalore police, who have assured that they would come to the rescue of any Northeastern people in trouble within five minutes, did not pay heed to his cry initially. Later, he was advised to call Adugodi police station as the particular area was not under their jurisdiction.
Citing the inaction of the police, Shiyeto's friend sought help from the members of a popular social networking group around 9.00 pm Friday. Finally, police reached to rescue Shiyeto around 11:00 pm but they did not arrest the accused persons, though the victim identified the accused assailants.
Meanwhile, people in Twitter also raised the fact that it was not mere rumours that people are scared but they indeed have been assaulted and threatened which compelled them to leave their jobs and flee from the city.
"NE people are not fleeing only for rumours, there has been real threats & real attacks. Three guys already dead," tweeted Raju Das on Saturday.
Bikash (name changed), who hails from Arunachal Pradesh, told OneIndia, I won't leave Bangalore as of now. It's my second home, having stayed here for 14 years. But yes, I'll leave the city if the situation doesn't improve in the next few days."
However, all people do not think in a similar way. Kukil Bora, who hails from Assam and working in a reputed media firm, refused to go with the "rumours of attacks". While talking with OneIndia, he said, "I'll not leave Bangalore. I studied here, got my first job here. I have built so many dreams around the city. How can I leave all these behind? This is my Bangalore."
Another second year student of National Law School of India University, Padmini PS Baruah said, "Within my campus, the rumours and threats of violence have not been manifested. Moreover, the administration has been sensitive enough to provide police protection for the sake of the students from the north-east."
She also claimed, "In context of what is happening in Bangalore, I do feel that everyone needs to become more aware and sensitive about the north-east as a whole."
"Lack of knowledge, more than anything, breeds hostility and suspicion. Further, if these rumours are baseless, then people ought to stop spreading panic for no reason," added Padmini.
Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar on Friday announced that police arrested five people and have been looking for four more for spreading rumours of an impending attack on people from the northeast in Bangalore.
According to police sources, panic among the Northeastern people have subsided in Bangalore as less people were seen leaving the cities on Saturday.
Assam ministers visited Bangalore and other cities to assure Northeastern people about their security in the respective metro cities. Union Home Ministry on Friday banned bulk SMS, MMS for next 15 days. The government took the decision to prevent any hate campaign and message against the people from North-East India.