Rajasthan High Court rejects five percent quota plea for Gujjars

New Delhi, Dec 22 (ANI): The Rajasthan High Court on Wednesday rejected a petition seeking five per cent reservation in government job for the Gujjar community.

The High Court directed the government to collect and provide data on the educational and economic background of the Gujjar community in a year.

Today's ruling will mean that the Gujjars will only get one per cent reservation in the government jobs.

Meanwhile, Gujjar leader KS Bainsla said: "Our fight is with the government and we will continue our agitation till our demands are met."

"I have directed my people to begin agitation across the State and will call it off only after the State government fulfils our demands of five per cent reservation, withdrawal of the cases against Gujjar agitators and their release from jail," Bainsla earlier said.

"The government has been dilly-dallying over the issue for too long. Now Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has even announced that they will go ahead with recruitment before the quota issue for Gujjars is settled," he added.

A section of Gujjars on Monday night revived the agitation for five per cent quota in government jobs and educational institutes in Dausa.

The agitation which began in 2007 has claimed over 70 lives so far.

A year ago, Gujjars in Rajasthan fought police and members of another caste that already qualified for job reservations.

After the protests, the State government said it would spend Rs 2.8 billion on improving schools, clinics, roads and other infrastructure in Gujjar areas. But Gujjars rejected this option. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...