RB Roy Choudhary, one among the accused, died while the trial was under way. The charges are under sections 304 (A), 336 and 337.
The accused include:
- Warren Anderson, the then UCIL CEO
- Vijay Gokhale, the then UCIL MD
- Kishore Kambadar, the then VP UCIL
- J Mukund, the then Works Manager
- Keshub Mahendra, the then Chairman UCIL
- RB Roy Choudhary, the then Assistant Works Manager
- SI Qureshi, The then production Assistant
- KV Shetty, the then plant superindentant
Warren Anderson was not named in the judgement. Warren was declared as an absconder after he did not subject himself to trial in the case which began 23 years before.
There were people's protests outside the Bhopal Sessions Court, as people were not allowed to enter inside.