Dubai, Aug.30 : Mohamad Haneef, the Bangalore-based doctor who was labeled a terrorist by the Australian Federal Police last July, today said that his family was left completely traumatized and "in darkness" by the incident.
With the AFP now admitting that there was no terror-related evidence against Haneef, he has expressed both relief and anger at the news, saying the yearlong investigation had left his entire family "in darkness" and his reputation destroyed.
According to The Australian, his lawyers have called for the sacking of AFP Commissioner Mick Keelty and the judicial inquiry into the bungled inquiry prepared to interview its first senior member of the Howard government - former attorney general Philip Ruddock -
Dr Haneef said the AFP had taken too long to clear his name.
"It has left the whole family in darkness, this episode. Just because of some, I don't know, some foolish mistakes from some person," Dr Haneef told The Weekend Australian from a town outside Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, where he now lives with his wife and daughter.
The AFP announcement came late yesterday afternoon, after a week of refusals to answer questions from The Australian as to whether the investigation was still under way.
"The AFP has concluded its active inquiries, although some longstanding overseas inquiries are yet to be fully resolved," the statement said. "At the present time there is insufficient evidence to institute proceedings against Dr Haneef for any criminal offence."
The Attorney-General, the Minister for Home Affairs and Dr Haneef's lawyers had been informed of the decision, the AFP said.
"We are ready to negotiate the terms of any apology and a damages settlement with the Government so as to avoid the unnecessary expense and further angst of civil litigation," an AFP spokesman said.
Dr Haneef, who had been working at the Gold Coast Hospital, was arrested on July 2 last year after police linked his phone SIM card to bungled terror attacks in London and Glasgow.
The case collapsed for lack of evidence and is now the subject of a government-ordered inquiry headed by retired NSW Supreme Court judge John Clarke QC.
Despite the toll the affair had exacted, Dr Haneef said he still hoped to return to Australia.