Ashes: Border says Clark should replace Johnson

Subscribe to Oneindia News

London, July 29 (ANI): Former Australian cricket captain Allan Border says that left-arm fast bowler Mitchell Johnson's form has become so poor that he needs to step away from Test cricket for at least a week to rebuild his game.

Border wants experienced seamer Stuart Clark to replace Johnson as the only change in the team for the third Test, beginning tomorrow at Edgbaston.

"It's not going to hurt Mitch to stand down for a week, go out the back in the nets and thunder in for the equivalent of up to 15 overs a day until he gets it right," Border said.

"Then he'll have nothing else to worry about apart from his bowling. He won't have to worry about going at six an over like he did in the last Test. There won't be any of the pressure and scrutiny that comes with being in the middle of a Test match," Fox Sports quoted Border, as saying.

"You want him in your side if he's bowling well because he's a genuine wicket-taker, but Australia simply can't let England get away like they did at Lord's. To be almost 200 in three hours before losing their first wicket, it's really tough to come back from there," Border said.

After dominating the first Test at Cardiff and coming within one wicket of winning, Australia lost badly at Lord's last week and must at least draw the series to retain the Ashes.

While Border says Johnson needs time away from the game, England new-ball bowler James Anderson and No.3 batsman Ravi Bopara both think the struggling left-armer will play. (ANI)

Please Wait while comments are loading...