London, July 9 (ANI): The prospect of a breakaway Formula One world championship was dramatically revived on Wednesday when the technical directors of the Formula One Teams Association (FOTA) walked out of a meeting with FIA representatives saying the sport's future was "in jeopardy".
Wednesday's meeting with FIA president Max Mosley was convened to agree to the final points of detail, but ended in acrimony after FOTA concluded that the FIA was again attempting to move goalposts at the last moment.
A FOTA statement said its members had no choice but to walk out when the FIA representative, Charlie Whiting, said that as things stand the eight teams do not have official entries in the 2010 world championship and could not have any input into the rules.
This was despite the fact that the FIA has published an entry list, including the eight FOTA teams and that the rules appeared to have been agreed between both parties last month, reports The Guardian.
The FIA's unpredictable behaviour at the Nürburgring, where Sunday's German grand prix will be staged, has left the Formula One community guessing over Mosley's long-term intentions.
It may be an attempt to reassert the governing body's authority and keep FOTA talking with the FIA for as long as possible. The longer talks continue, the less likely it will be that FOTA will have time to organize a breakaway series for 2010.
In addition to the eight Fota-aligned teams, the meeting included representatives of Williams and Force India, plus those from the three new teams accepted for the 2010 championship, Manor F1, Campos Meta and Team US F1.
The meeting came at the end of a turbulent week for the sport in which Mosleymade it clear that the new teams must have as much of a say in the new regulations as the established ones. (ANI)