Dhaka, Jun 7 (UNI) As if the ban on Shoaib Akhtar was not enough for Pakistan team, it received another blow when pacer Mohammad Asif was ruled out of the tri-series against India and Bangladesh following his detention at Dubai airport but captain Shoaib Malik believes his side is competent enough to take up the challenge without the star bowler.
Asif was held at Dubai airport last week after authorities found a suspicious substance in his possession while he was on way to home after playing the IPL in India. He is expected to be charged or released tomorrow.
He was replaced by paceman Sohail Khan in the 16-member squad that arrived in Dhaka yesterday.
''We are here to play cricket and our concentration is only on cricket,'' Malik replied to mediapersons' constant questions over Asif's detention.
''We still have a good bowling attack with Sohail Tanvir, Umar Gul, Sohail Khan and Rao Iftikhar and they all are working hard,'' he added.
Malik said his side has already won 11 consecutive matches and is looking forward to extend that winning streak.
''Our goal is to maintain consistency. We have won 11 games in a row and now we want to continue it and add three more wins here,'' he said.
After a win against India last year, Pakistan defeated minnows Zimbabwe and Bangladesh 5-0 in successive series to take their tally of consecutive one-day wins to 11, which is a record for the country.
Pakistan will play their first match against Bagladesh tomorrow while on June 10 it will face arch rivals India.
UNI XC RAR KK BD115