• search
For Srinagar Updates
Allow Notification  

Doubts cast over Udhampur encounter: Srinagar on high alert


Srinagar, June 15: The family of Tanveer Sultan, a 31 year old resident of Srinagar has sought an inquiry in his killing. He was killed in an encounter at Udhampur earlier this week after he is alleged to have opened fire from a bus. The police said that they had recovered the pistol with which he had fired and also an AK-47 rifle.

The family is alleging that Tanveer was part of the Lashkar-e-Taiba until 2004. However he was released and was leading a normal life.

Udhampur encounter: Srinagar on alert

The family says that they suspect foul play and hence an inquiry be ordered. On June 13, a gun fight took place on the Jammu-Srinagar highway. Three CRPF personnel were injured while one civilian lost her life.

He was under the radar

The family states that Tanveer was always under the watch of the police. While he had been associated with the Lashkar-e-Taiba way back in 2004, he had given up that life following and arrest and release. Since then he has been under the watch of the police.

Ever since his release he would visit the police station on January 26 and February 15. This was a pre-requisite as the police insisted on the same. Further the family alleges that he was suffering from bi-polar disorder. He was on his way to Amritsar for treatment and the family says that it appears as though the weapons had been planted.

Bonafide operation

The security forces however say it was a bonafide operation. They also point out that he was not part of any terror organisation after he had left the Lashkar-e-Taiba. However he was a rebel, the security officials also add.

The opposition in Jammu and Kashmir too raked up this issue questioning the authenticity of the operation. Some have even asked that why he did he use the pistol to open fire when he had much more powerful weapon- the AK-47 with him.

However the government responded by saying that the operation was a bonafide one. The government also pointed out that weapons had been seized from him and the case was not a fabricated one as is being alleged by the family.

The incident led to clashes in the Bemina area of Srinagar. There were tense scenes and the police had to use tear gas shells to disperse the mob.

OneIndia News

For Daily Alerts
Get Instant News Updates
Notification Settings X
Time Settings
Clear Notification X
Do you want to clear all the notifications from your inbox?
Settings X